Life is what we make it. There are many people who have limited means but find themselves with an attitude of happiness every day, simply because that is the attitude that they decide they are going to have. Alternatively there are many people who have great means, financial or social, and they feel miserable and dissatisfied with their lives because they have not recognized they power they have to chose the attitude they wish to have. Of course the ideal would be to have the right mindset and the financial and social means to enjoy it.
However, for anyone who is not quite there financially, the easiest part to change right now in order to have a better life, is the attitude and the mindset that you choose to have each day. To do this, there are any number of strategies that you can adopt. The following approach is based on the fact that sometimes we have to derail the mental conversation that is playing in our heads consistently. We have to halt the usual playback and introduce something new.
Statement #1: I AM HAPPY, HEALTHY, WEALTHY AND WISE
Life is a self fulfilling prophecy. How many times have you been tired but you told yourself that you have to do something because it was unavoidable and you got up and you did what you needed to. There is power in that mental dialogue. So start using it proactively.
- Tell yourself that you are happy and smile.
- Tell yourself that you are healthy and the actions that you choose to take to support that perception or yourself will be different than the person who has a different mindset.
- Define yourself as a person who is wealthy. Or as someone who is living in abundance. A person who is wealthy values what they have and are not willing to squander it. They make wise decisions and they are grateful.
- Tell yourself that you are wise. You may not have have all the answers but be wise enough to realize that being in that situation is okay. Oftentimes the questions are more important. A person who is is wise has lived and had several learning experiences. They know that things may not be perfect but they could be even worse. They know that sometimes things are never what they seem and people are complicated, imperfect and beautiful.
Statement #2: IT’S POSSIBLE
If you add this mantra to your life, you increase your willingness to take on challenges. When you start to believe that the things you dream for yourself could potentially happen, you open yourself up to growth and greater options for success. When you are able to start from a place of possibility:
- You become a more positive and hopeful person.
- You build your faith.
- You have more energy and you are willing to exert more effort.
- You become less concerned with the reality of your present situation because you remind yourself that things can change.
- You even start to remember times in the past when things have worked out for you.
- You start to remember the things that you can do or the things that you have already achieved but don’t celebrate.
- You start to feel less bogged down by the thoughts of what you cannot do and instead you focus on how you can use what you already know.
- You start to get creative about thinking how you can get assistance from others or how you can help others because you recognize that there is value for you in the collaborative effort of assisting others.
These two statements represent a simple way to adjust your mindset and stop yourself from spiraling down into focus on lack, want or unhappiness. Say them to yourself repeatedly and begin to focus on the positive way of looking at things that they represent. Changing the way that you see yourself and the way that you see the world can be very positive and rewarding.
Marjorie Wharton is a trainer, facilitator and coach who works with individuals and organizations to help them improve their performance. She is based at the Sagicor Cave Hill School of Business in Barbados. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. For more of her writing visit https://marjoriewharton.live